Sumit is a problem solver and a keen student of innovative business models. Before joining Kalaari, he was an investment banker at HSBC, specializing in corporate finance advisory including cross-border and domestic M&A, joint ventures, LBOs and capital market transactions.
At Kalaari, Sumit actively evaluates investment opportunities in the area of online products and services, especially in education, financial services and overall consumer services category. He also works closely with portfolio companies and enjoys contributing to the growth of startups. Sumit has an MBA from IIM Calcutta and a B. Tech from IIT Kharagpur.
What makes the job exciting
I find it exciting to be part of creating large businesses that make a difference and being there when the seeds are sown.
Thoughts on startup success
- Find markets with no medium-term ceiling; essentially, large opportunities.
- Envisage the defensibility of the business in the long term — entry barriers, network effects, brand, etc.
- Ensure sound economics through strong visibility into steady-state profitability, even if getting to steady-state needs a lot of investment.
- Have a winning team – one that knows how to get things done and to pivot when the market demands it.
- Focus and be clear about the problem being addressed and your market positioning.
Views on entrepreneurship
Pick an interesting problem to solve, one that converts to a large market and one that not too many people are already solving. Build a strong team to help with executing the business plan.
What I like about Kalaari
I love the opportunity to constantly interact with the best and brightest entrepreneurs. I feel privileged to work with a team that is truly passionate about entrepreneurship in this country. I enjoy being a part of many success stories that Kalaari has helped create.